About Me

My photo
I only started cycling a year ago following a charity event which signed me up to cycle London to Paris. From then on I have joined a local cycling club and developed into a lycra loving lass.

Friday 20 March 2015

Little bit of race training

I haven't written in ages.. Many reasons why but I'll maybe write something about that later on.. 

Weekend just gone I had the most amazing day! WERL (women's Eastern racing league) race training with the fantastic Tanya Griffiths, Elanor Cadstow, & Isla Rush as experts and then coaching by the infamous Huw Williams! 

It was a great opportunity (organised by Tanya) for new women riders / racers to learn essential skills, build confidence & meet like minded women in a safe and controlled environment. 

We started off with a couple of laps around HoggHill / Redbridge cycling track. An 8 minute pro warm up where you gradually increase the pace each minute until the final minute you are busting a gut (not literally)! 

Then we did some technical warm up with speed work where we rode up and down a cone section. On one side we had to spin our legs a fast as we could in a light gear to get to the other side (about 6seconds) and then easy.. Repeat about 6 times! 


Then we had to ride in 4's going round the cones keeping the same distance between us. That was manageable. But then we rode again in our 4's but on the left stretch we had to hold our left arm on the rider to our lefts shoulder and the one on the end put theirs on their head... Interesting!!! On the right side we did it with our right hand. The aim - to get us comfortable with being held buy another rider so when in a race you can move through the pack and tell riders you're there if they're being a bit sketchy or close! 



After we did some riding round the track in 5's.. Keeping the same distance. Then the 5 at the back had to work their way through to the front, communicating to fellow riders. Repeated until all riders were through... There was an awful lot of giggling, amusing comments coming up as you shouted items of clothing as opposed to riders names (we hadn't done a formal meet & greet 😂). I found it a bit stressful and judging by some photos, the concentration on my face was intense! 



Then we did some TTT practice with up to 8 riders in each line. Learning signalling on coming off the front, pacing to join the back and control to keep te pace the same. A few laps of that was a good HR builder! 



Then we did a bit of a race... Starting off with the TTT group format we were asked to pick up the pace over 3 laps then it was anyone's game for the last 2. I stuck working with a couple of ladies for the last 2 laps then made a breakaway on the hill for the half last lap and crossed the line first. I had a very wobbly attempt at a no hand finish.. Well I guess I've got to learn! Stef Wyman gave me 1 bit of crucial advice when I asked at te Matrix Vulpine Pro Cycling team launch- practice your celebrations! 


The heavens opened and we rustled inside for some theory. Here we learnt about the 4 key areas - physical, tactical, technical & very importantly, psychological. Followed by components of fitness: aerobic endurance, speed, strength, power (speed+strength), short term max endurance & flexibility (I'm going to yoga tonight to work on this). 
I found the theory so valuable as it reminded me that it's not just about riding a bike and the strongest rider doesn't always win the race - it's just as much a mind game as it is a leg game. Gotta be a smart cyclist! 

Back out in the grey skies of London we did a few warm up laps again and then it was into race practice!!! 

Down onto the bottom track (no hills 😉) and we had our first race. First 3 laps our experts ride at the front and control the oace, picking it up on each lap. Then the last two it was anyone's game. 

I sat in the pack 1 behind to get the benefit of wind break. 2 laps to go, pace picks up again, I'm still close to the front. A few hairy corners where we aren't used to travelling round close at speed. It was a lot faster than up at the top. 1 lap to go and pace changes, we start thinking about how it'll end. I make a lush for it and go for a solo break about 500yrds to go. Kept looking behind to see if anyone was following. I was out on my lonesome. Just kept pushing and I think I finished with a one arm raise as I was going a bit quicker this time! 

We catch our breath... And Huw tells us we have to do it all again! 4 laps this time (thankfully). And he looks at me... You're not allowed to break away this time! WHAT! ahh! Ok I see. 



Sowe race again. I stay in the pack which he must have known would result in a bunch sprint. 2 riders broke away on the 3rd lap which I wasn't prepared to let go. I communicated to the group under the watch of Tanya at my side and they stuck in my wheel & we closed the gap. 

Successfully we re-grouped and the pace picked up again as we entered in for the finish. With a few 100yrds to go it spiced up a bit as we jostled for position. I got Tania (Cambridge CC) to stay on my wheel in the hope I could deliver her to the front for the sprint. We all pushed harder and harder and crossed the line. I finished in 5 I think..!it was an incredible experience and Iearnt so much! Can't wait for Sunday now... Except te fact it's not 5 laps.. It's 40 miles 😁 


I would highly recommend anyone experienced or not, man or woman. To go do some race training to learn more & build more confidence. 

And if you're a woman in the East... Join the WERL league! 🏆




1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have made this one...9 months out of crit racing, my group skillz are Rusty Could use a refresher course! Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete